Thursday, October 29, 2015

"The patient and humble endurance of the cross, whatever nature it may be, is the highest work we have to do." Saint Katherine Drexel
(The quote was provided by my dear friend Tara, who has texted me an inspiring quote from a saint every day since I was diagnosed. Another angel!)

We certainly each have our cross to bare. Some carry their cross in complete silence and anonymity. While others are given a cross that others can't help but notice. As the body of Christ we are called to help each other carry our cross just as Simon assisted Jesus with the wooden cross to which he was to be nailed.

My family and I continue to be so very blessed to have many around us who are assisting us with the cross of cancer. I must say that I do view this time as a time to assist my body with healing and not necessarily as a "fight" against cancer. I really don't want to be in fighting mode. I want to be in a peaceful healing mode. This is actually a beautiful time of acknowledging the many angels around us and the love that we all share. For me, this is a time to rest, love and heal, not a time to have boxing gloves on and be thinking about "fighting." This is a time for much spiritual growth and growth in relationships--- a time to be patient.

The past few days have been ones of rest for me. I was TOLD to rest. I had to be TOLD. I was trying so hard to keep life going on as normal, and it just isn't the right thing to do right now. I have enjoyed many a nap and having visitors.

Yesterday, Wednesday, my hair began falling out in clumps just like I had heard would happen. I was told it would happen in about 3 weeks from my first treatment, and it happened in only 2. Oh well. I am actually relieved to have that shock over with. Although we had planned a family event to have my head shaved and the guys were going to get a short crew cut, plans changed. Ricky and Paul were each invited to a Halloween party so Pete and I went out on a date. The first stop was Great Clips to visit my friend, Pam, who wanted to be the one to give me a pixie cut before shaving my head. I'm not sure if all Great Clips do this, but this branch offers anyone undergoing chemo free hair cuts and a free head shaving, so generous! So, I now have a very short pixie cut and will probably need to go back in a week for a full out head shaving. Then Pete and I went out to dinner to celebrate the new look! Pete and Paul will get their crew cuts today after school and Ricky will be the one to carry on with his usual look. : )

The moment when my hair began to fall out was certainly a REAL raw moment. There was no more denying that I am healing from cancer. And now, everyone I meet will know. Now, every time I look in the mirror I am reminded that something is different. It is quite humbling to walk around with this look. I do have scarves and even a gorgeous wig to wear. So, be prepared to see me sporting various looks. This could be a lot of fun, and just in time for Halloween!!!!

Today I go in for my weekly blood work to check my white blood cell count, my creatin level and many other factors. My next treatment will be next Thursday, Nov. 5th. I appreciate the many prayers on the day of my treatment. Please pray specifically that I will be patient with the side effects and patient with myself as I heal. Thank you for your continued support in so many ways. A HUGE thank you to all who have been sending us meals. We are eating like royalty over here. Be assured of our prayers for each of you and your families. Thanks to each of you, we are able to rest in God's love.

"Hold your eyes on God and leave the doing to him. That is all the doing you have to worry about." St. Jane France De Chantal

No comments:

Post a Comment