Sunday, November 15, 2015


"Indeed the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing until it divides soul from spirit, joints from marrow; it is able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart." (Heb 4:12)

I continue to read and thoroughly enjoy the book Cancer And The Healing Power of Prayer. I have completely stopped reading any type of factual book about cancer. I am really needing to focus on my spiritual health as being sick is spiritually draining for me. My faith does not waiver, but I do tend begin to grow weary. In other times of my life where I felt weary I remember simply relying on the name of Jesus. When I can't seem to put a prayer together, I just repeat the name of Jesus. Well, the author of this book, Fr. Joby, reminds us that simply the name of Jesus is the most powerful prayer. Thank you Lord for making it that easy!

I do want to tell you all about Chapter 8 of the book, "Word- An Elixir of Healing." He explains how the Word of God contains so much power in it. We must learn to rely on it. Read the quote above again. He goes on to devote small sections to each of these topics:
1. The Word of God- Mighty and Empowering
2. The Word of God- Life Giving
3. The Word of God- Healing Elixir
4. The Word of God- Salubrious and Beneficial
5. The Word of God- Salvific
6. The Word of God- Liberating
7. The Word of God- In Our Daily Life
8. Pray Using the Word of God ( He gives 31 Bible quotes with which to pray)

It's funny, ever since I was in high school at St. Pius X in Atlanta, this is the type of reading that has always interested me. I love reading about faith and about matters that positively impact my life and which I can then use to impact other lives. I'll never forget when Msgr. Lopez asked me, in 9th grade, to go with him to IHM (the elementary/middle school) to present a talk to 8th grade students about prayer. He wanted me to tell them about my prayer life. ME???? That experience taught me that we do need to share with each other about what works in our prayer life. Something that works for me may inspire another to deepen their prayer life. In the same way, I love learning from others what works for them. The bottom line is that we must all focus on the Word of God as the basis of our prayer life. All of the answers, all of the comfort, all of the healing, is all within the Word of God, because the Word of God made flesh is Jesus!

Oh, I can tell this Advent is going to be the best one yet for me! I remember experiencing Advent through the eyes of Mary, the Blessed Virgin, when I was pregnant with Paul through Advent. That was a very special time. Now, I will experience Advent in a totally different light, one of waiting for the Word of God, waiting on the Messiah to bring peace. What a blessing to be given a different perspective for Advent this year.

Health Update:
I continue to be quite tired, needing to take at least one nap each day. Yesterday, after attending Paul's soccer game and end of the season party, I came home and took a 3 hour nap. It was great to wake up to UGA winning!  I continue to deal with GI issues which are a normal side effect of the chemo I am receiving. Thankfully I know it will only last a few days and then I'll be fine. The boys are enjoying my ever changing hat and wig styles. We are having fun with that.

On a very happy note, the doctor has given me the go ahead to travel to the Keys for my cousin's wedding. We had planned this trip long before I was diagnosed and as God would have it, the wedding falls on the week before my 3rd treatment. That means I will be feeling great during that week. The doctor said since my blood counts have been so good that I would be fine to travel. We will be driving and staying at a cousin's house, so exposure to illnesses will be minimal. No doubt the sun and salty air and water will be good for us! Not to mention fun times with extended family, which is also very healing!

Angel visits abound! I was blessed by visits from Julie and Kelly who came to help me shave my head and who also lifted by spirits. I was also visited by a very special essential oil mentor and friend, Kelly, who brought me much peace and happiness. My business team acted as my hands in setting up a meeting for our larger team. Mom, my "hovering angel" continues to wear herself out taking care of us. And I use the word "hovering" in a good way. She doesn't let any need slip by her. Our dear neighbors spent time with us yesterday assisting Pete and the boys with the yard work.
We continue to be blessed by angels from church, school and work who are supporting us with meals, prayers, loving cards, gift cards, knitted hats and LOVE! On a day that I was really feeling down and sick, I was surprised by a beautiful delivery of gorgeous red roses sent by Pete's uncles, Marty and Charlie. And I continue to receive supportive texts, phone calls and e-mails from so many. Thank you to each one of you for your prayers! Thank you for thinking about us and reaching out to us. Your love is making these days fly by. Before we know it, we will be on the other side of this journey still counting our many blessings!

This coming week should be a little easier. So, hopefully life will be a little more normal. I pray that each one of you will take time to enjoy the Word of God and to SAVOR THE BLESSINGS!

No comments:

Post a Comment