Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Do not worry about your life...

"Then Jesus said to his disciples; "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens; They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" Luke 12:22-25

This messages resonates so strongly with me these days following my second round of treatment. Thankfully, since the second treatment did not contain as heavy a dose of the chemo therapy drugs, my body seems to be bouncing back even faster. However, on Sunday and Monday as I dealt with the worst of the side effects of nausea and complete exhaustion, it was quite overwhelming. I was thankful that they were rainy dreary days that invited me to stay in pjs and just relax. I will admit, it is tough at times to just rest and trust that in a day or two I will feel better. The verse above reminds me to trust!

Yesterday I had the beautiful blessing of meeting Thelema, a certified nutritionist who works with the Gwinnett Medical Cancer Center in assisting patients with supporting their body through the chemo therapy sessions and recovering afterward. I finally met a kindred spirit in this medical world! She is so very knowledgeable on the power of food on our bodies. She knew exactly how to direct me to assist my body with the side effects and even minimize them as we continue through the treatments. She really should have been my FIRST appointment after diagnosis. Just as the chemo teaching appointment was not optional, this appointment with the nutritionist should have not been optional and should have happened BEFORE treatments began. Since the medical doctors just don't know about the power of food and nutrition, it is imperative that patients meet with someone who does. Thelema is just that person! We enjoyed an almost 2 hour visit of going through my diet and sharing information with each other about the research we have been reading. I thank God for her presence on my journey! Another angel, another blessing!

Imagine my good fortune when coming out of that appointment I ran into Amy, my friend and breast health navigator. She made time to sit with me and just chat to check in on all things. I treasure her friendship and professional knowledge. She is always so good to remind me that this is journey with an end. I will get through this and she will be there with me all the way. Poor Amy gets to listen to my views on the disappointments I face with the medical community. Maybe I am going through this to help initiate some changes. For example, how is it that the volunteers at the cancer center where people are receiving their chemo therapy treatments, are handing out Oreos, Fritos, and Doritos as snacks to the patients? Why couldn't they hand out sleeves of almonds, walnuts, raisins, carrot stick packs, etc.? Why not use that time to education patients on the foods and drinks that will actually help their body heal?  They also like to hand out Ensure and Boost. Did you know that the second ingredient in those drink is Corn Syrup? That is AWFUL for our body, especially a body that is needing to heal from cancer. YES, there are alternatives. YES, they are more expensive, but can't a donor provide those? That is my mission!!!! One step at a time we need to walk the walk, not just talk the talk. If the Cancer Center is really there to aid in our healing, then everything they do should point to that end. I am thankful that they provide a filtered water station where we can refill our bottles. And they provide a refrigerator and freezer where we can store our own snacks and meals.

So continues the struggle of wanting to go on doing what I know to be good and right and finding that the medical community is not on board with all that I have learned. I have found my one partner "in crime" now which is all I need. : )

Since I last wrote, I have been notified by another friend of her recent diagnosis with another type of cancer. Please add Joann to your prayer list. She is being treated at Emory and has to be hospitalized for 5 days every time she receives her treatment. She also trusts in God's providence and believes in the power of prayer. Thank you for adding her to your list.

I pray that you each are doing well and learning all you can about to best care for your body, the temple of the Holy Spirit. I'll be in touch again soon.
Much love,
Cristina

No comments:

Post a Comment